Ranting and Raving about everything from Entertainment to Gadgetry. Official blog of Vinny "Gamings Nirvana" Parisi

Friday, April 15, 2011

Editorial: "Project Cafe"- Wii 2 Could be All That and a Cup of Coffee

For those who haven't heard the latest industry scuttlebutt, rumors of Nintendo announcing a new console at E3 are beginning to mount.  The so-assumed Wii 2 (Even though the Big N has never repeated a console title since the SNES days,) or "Project Cafe" as it is codenamed, is said to be packing enough power to make fanboys everywhere collectively Sploosh.  
Kudos to IGN for the Wii 2 details, and this Banner.
 So let me recap the basics:
1) The Wii 2 is rumored to be more powerful than the PS3 and Xbox 360 (I'll believe this after I've tested it myself. Seeing it wouldn't even be enough to make me believe this claim.)  It will run at full-HD 1080p resolution.  As far as specs go, according to a Destructoid article, the system has "a custom IBM PowerPC three core CPU, and "probably" an ATI R700 series GPU with shader model 4.1 support."  Which, in fact, would make it more powerful than current-gen consoles.  Of course, like I said, I'll believe it when there's proof.

2) The new console will be fully backwards compatible with any Wii titles.  Since the Wii was BC with Gamecube games, this makes me wonder if the Wii 2 could run GC titles as well.  Which would obviously be awesome.  Nintendo is also said to be "Considering" using Blu-Ray discs for the game.

3) The controller will be reminiscent of a Gamecube controller, complete with dual analog sticks, triggers and a D-pad.  The major upgrade though is the alleged 6-inch touch screen that will also be on the controller.  This touch screen is supposed to be fully integrated into the console experience as well as allowing full games to be streamed and played from the controller on the go.  Let me give that to you again; the CONTROLLER doubles as a portable system that can have full games streamed to it via the console.  This is either the greatest console ever conceived or the worst late-April fools joke to have ever broken my heart. (Damn you EGM, I'll never forgive you for making me think Sonic was in SSB: Melee.)

Of course, while IGN apparently has sources to confirm this info, we won't know anything for sure until Nintendo decides to whip out the big guns Cannons at E3 in June.  Suffices to say, I'm pretty stoked about the Hardcore market Nintendo is attempting to recapture with this potentially-groundbreaking new console.  The idea of this controller has really got me thinking about the shape and potential awkwardness to handle while playing console games though.  I mean, if it's supposed to be comfortable enough to use as a portable system, will it still be easy to use without looking down while playing a console game?  I assume the screen would have to be in the middle of the controller, unless it sticks out on top which I feel would be a little clunky.  At this point though, it's a mute discussion (to be having with myself,) so we'll just have to wait and see what happens.  Either way, I'm looking forward to this year's E3 with a heightened sense of anticipation like never before.  It's a good time to be a gamer.

No comments:

Post a Comment