Ranting and Raving about everything from Entertainment to Gadgetry. Official blog of Vinny "Gamings Nirvana" Parisi

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Random Ramblings: Hush Arthur, I'm sure more MvC 3 DLC is on the way...

It seems like for every step forward game developers make, there is some contractual obligation to take two steps backwards.  Perhaps developers are coerced into some type of blood bond with those who seek to destroy the industry, and therefore have little control over the decisions they make.

If you're not yet thoroughly clueless as to what the hell I'm talking about, I congratulate you.  This week there were two announcements that I deem major enough to bare mentioning from two development powerhouses.  The first was a tweet from Capcom which claimed there would be no more support for MvC 3 as far as DLC is concerned.  This is upsetting for a number of obvious reasons, the most prevalent being the Jr.-sized roster as compared to the game's predecessor. What happened to all those rumors of Frank West and Doctor Octopus joining in on the action?

I guess it's possible that since the tweet technically said there were "no more announcements planned" that something could happen later on down the road, but this seems like the final nail in the coffin from my perspective.  Speaking of perspective, I guess I'd be less upset about the severe lack of DLC support if the game's online actually worked.  Have you tried playing a ranked match yet?  No?  Well don't worry about it, I've been trying for over a month and we still share the same record of 0-0.  I could forgive balance issues and terrible roster choices, even though I shouldn't, if I could actually enjoy the game; but Capcom seems hell bent on making MvC 3 the black sheep of the franchise family.  

In other news, Warner Bros. has registered half a dozen domain names for a Batman Hush related game.  At least I assume it's a game based on Hush given one of the domain names is "batmanhushgame.com"  There are two problems with this:  1) Arkham City isn't coming out until the Fall.  That's a helluva long ways away.  The last thing we need is for Rocksteady to start spreading themselves thin trying to over-saturate the market and capitalize on the success of the Arkham series.  Now there's no guarantee that Rocksteady is even making the game, but Hush is a pretty mature story, and considering the success WB is having with Rocksteady, it would make sense to keep them in charge of the serious-in-tone Batman games.  Which brings me to problem 2) While Hush is certainly a great comic book story arc, that does not mean it would make a great game.  The plot of the arc centers around an extremely powerful narrative, and while it certainly has the emotional aspects that make for an immersive gameplay experience, as well as a great collection of included rogues, it is much heavier on the drama than it is on the action.  Bottom line: Hush is a story I like to read but it's certainly NOT a game I'd like to play.      

But while this week may have been a bummer in terms of gaming news, at least there's still a new episode of Camelot to look forward to.  If you haven't been watching, either because you haven't heard of it or you don't have Starz, Camelot is a retelling of King Arthur's story.  While it takes a few liberties as far as faithfulness to the original stories, it is certainly entertaining and polished enough to be enjoyable regardless of your devotion to the tale.  Even though it's only 3 episodes in so far, there is plenty of drama, action and, of course, ladies with strong tendencies to disrobe in front of the camera (I could tell you that Lady Guinevere doesn't look good with her clothes off, but I'm only comfortable telling small lies.)  While I admit I'm not totally hooked and can bear to wait a few days before catching up on an episode I missed, it's definitely worth looking into; especially if you're a fan of the time period.  I love me some medieval times.

No comments:

Post a Comment